Friday, November 2, 2012

Bad hearing, bad eyes

Before I start, let me say that I am not complaining.

I suppose I have worked my eyes hard, and my ears as well, during the entire life. I am a compulsive reader, write for a living, and as my pass time, build and collect miniatures. I am a musician and play live with a very loud band, and like car racing, both very loud endeavors. So I am quite aware that a lot of my woes might be self inflicted.

I am 52 now. My eyesight is not bad with glasses, of course, and the eyes are basically healthy, albeit weak. My eyeglasses are as thick as Saddam Hussein's bunkers, however, new technology makes wearing them easy, I don't need a counterweight on the back of my head to ensure my head does not drop frontward.

There is a feeling, a not very nice feeling, I admit, that I am slowly losing communication with the world. Sure, with the aid of eyeglasses and hearing aids I can still function rather well, thank you very much. But I am not too old yet, and I keep on thinking, in what shape will I be when (if) I am 80?

There are advantages of course. I don't hear my cat meowing outside my bedroom door at all hours of night - my poor wife does. However, I am ever in a building where there is a fire, and I have the wrong ear uncovered, I might be doomed.

It might seem I take the whole deal very lightly. I believe laughing a bit about it helps overcome some of the anxiety related to losing senses.

But I trust God will keep just enough of it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment